‘Shocking’ sugar levels in High Street hot drinks, warns charity
There are “shocking” amounts of sugar in some hot drinks sold in High Street cafes, a campaign group has warned.
Action on Sugar analysed 131 hot drinks and found a third contained at least as much sugar as a can of Pepsi or Coca-Cola, which contains nine teaspoons.
The charity said in some of the worst cases the drinks contained 20 or more teaspoons of sugar.
Coffee shop chains Starbucks, Costa and Caffe Nero said they were committed to reducing sugar content in their drinks.
The drinks assessed included flavoured coffees such as mochas and lattes, hot fruit drinks and hot chocolates from coffee shops and fast food chains.
The charity found that 98% of the drinks tested would receive a red nutritional value label for high sugar content.
The recommended maximum intake of added sugar per day for those aged 11 and over is about 30g or seven teaspoons, the NHS says.
Starbucks’ venti Grape with Chai, Orange and Cinnamon Hot Mulled Fruit was found to have the highest sugar content of the drinks tested, with 25 teaspoons of sugar per serving, the campaign group said.
Costa’s massimo eat-in Chai Latte was found to contain 20 teaspoons of sugar and Starbucks’ venti White Chocolate Mocha with Whipped Cream was found to have 18.
KFC’s mocha and Starbucks’ Signature Hot Chocolate both had 15 teaspoons of sugar per serving while Caffe Nero’s drink-in Caramelatte had 13.
The group’s researcher Kawther Hashem called on coffee shop chains to reduce the amount of sugar in their drinks, improve their labelling and scrap extra-large serving sizes.
These hot flavoured drinks should be an occasional treat, not an everyday drink,” she said.
They are laden with an unbelievable amount of sugar and calories and are often accompanied by a high sugar and fat snack.
She told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme she was “surprised” by the results, and said the campaign group had tested only the larger portion sizes on offer.
Read full story: ‘Shocking’ sugar levels in High Street hot drinks, warns charity