London Ambulance Service Demonstrates Pit Crew CPR
Inspired by Formula One racing, the pit crew concept is designed to bring increased efficiency and structure to the way the London Ambulance Service treats patients in cardiac arrest.
Each member of the team knows exactly what to do, when to do it and how to do it.
Key aspects of the pit crew concept include:
- Ensuring there is 360º access to the patient (this may involve physically moving the patient a short distance);
- Calm and concise communication at all times;
- Use of a cardiac arrest checklist;
- Identifying a team leader to manage the cardiac arrest team;
- Members of the team adopting predefined positions around the patient in order to deliver different elements of resuscitation efficiently and effectively.