COVID-19 (Training Courses)
Following on from meeting of a number of national organisations and the Health & Safety Executive, we are able to share our update regarding a return to face-to-face first aid training.
The First Aid Awarding Organisation Forum (FAAOF) recommend that first aid training (other than absolutely essential first aid training) should not restart until after the government has changed the COVID-19 alert status to Level 3. As the COVID-19 alert level is currently at Level 3, first aid training can recommence.
- Training Courses General Guidance
- Workplace First Aid Cover
Where training courses takes place, we will be following the below guidance:
- We will risk assess our training delivery and mitigate all risks of possible spread of COVID-19
- We will design lessons to ensure that a distance of 2m is maintained between students and between the students and trainers unless close contact is absolutely necessary for teaching or assessment purposes. Sensible adaptions to training and assessment activities will be introduced to achieve this
- We will ensure appropriate handwashing facilities and / or alcohol hand sanitisers are available for use as learners enter and exit the training room and throughout their time in the classroom
- Where close contact is absolutely necessary and it is teaching and assessment related to a situation where a first aider would be expected to wear PPE, PPE will be used
- We will have in place a process for preventing those with possible COVID-19 symptoms (fever, a new cough or loss of smell/taste) from entering the classroom. We will also have in place a process to manage instances of people who develop symptoms during the delivery of any training
- All equipment that is used by learners will be thoroughly cleaned before use by an individual learner
The skill of providing rescue breaths must still be included in CPR training and assessment, however adaptations to protocols that ensure the safe performance of first aid during the current COVID-19 outbreak should also be taught. Further information is available on the Resuscitation Council UK website.
The HSE have also updated their advice regarding first aid cover, first aid certificate extensions and interrupted first aid training; please click here for more information.